Accommodations and ADA Statement

The University of the South is committed to fostering respect for the diversity of the University community and the individual rights of each member of that community. In this spirit, and in accordance with the provisions of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the University seeks to provide students with disabilities with the reasonable accommodations needed to ensure equal access to the programs and activities of the University. If you have a disability and require accommodations in this course, you have the responsibility of presenting your instructor with a copy of your academic accommodations letter from the University Wellness Center (931.598.1270). Accommodations will not be provided without this documentation, and accommodations cannot be applied retroactively. Additional information about disability accommodations can be found at
If you have questions about physical accessibility, please inform your instructor so that we can ensure an accessible, safe, and effective environment.
Such requests for accommodation are not new, and Sewanee’s faculty generally have been receptive to the requests and have worked with students to help them have the best learning environment. Typical accommodations include extra time for exams, the ability to take exams in distraction-reduced environments, assistance with note taking, and the ability to use a word processor to type an exam.

As a student in a studio art class, you are expected, along with your peers and instructors, to engage in and negotiate territories of experience that range from the global to the very personal. As a student in residence at the college, you may experience a range of challenges that can interfere with this special type of studio-based learning, such as strained relationships, increased anxiety, substance use, feeling down, difficulty concentrating, and/or lack of motivation. These mental health concerns or stressful events may diminish your academic performance and/or reduce your ability to participate in daily activities. Counseling, psychological, and psychiatric services are available at the University Wellness Center, and treatment does work. You can learn more about confidential mental health services available on campus at